A few Tennis Teasers for those moments between wall-to-wall sunshine.
1. In which years has it not rained at all during the whole tournament?
2. In 1873, four years before the first Wimbledon tennis match, a famous lawn tennis match was played at which castle in Kent?
3. For what is that castle famous nowadays?
4. When were the ‘first real code of rules’ for lawn tennis drawn up?
5. Who was the first Wimbledon champion in 1877 – he said he doubted whether the game would catch on?
6. How many left-handed players have ever won a Wimbledon singles title?
7. How many competitors took part in 1877?
8. How much was a seat ticket for the final in 1877?
9. How many ‘People’s Mondays’ have there been?
10. In which years have these ‘People’s Mondays’ occurred?
11. How high is the famous Wimbledon turf?
12. In WW2 a bomb dropped on which Court?
13. When was a wooden racket last used at Wimbledon?
14. Why is Court No. 2 known as the Graveyard?
15. For which other sport was Wimbledon famous?
16. From which Home were ball boys originally supplied?
17. How many bottles of champagne were consumed in the 2011 tournament?
18. At what temperature are the tournament tennis balls stored?
19. How many tennis balls can be fitted in underneath the new Centre Court roof?
20. What is the latest time play can finish on an evening during the tournament?
21. What is the weight of the moving roof over Centre Court?
22. At 37 years and 296 days old which grand old lady remains Wimbledon’s oldest ladies’ singles champion?
Fingers crossed that you don’t need to use these tennis teasers at all, but just in case, the answers will appear on Finals Day. Trivia questions
Blue Badge tourist guide